Hampi, situated in southern India, had its first inhabitants in 1CE but gained prominence under the reign of Krishnadeva Raya. It became the capital town of Vijayanagara Empire in the period 1336 to 1565. Today the ruins are UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Legend, myth, and history is blurred at this place which once took 380,000 people under its care. The scene today remains mesmerizing. Boulders soaked in history and shaped by nature, rise alongside manmade structures in praise of God.
Seen in the picture here (backdrop) is the 49m high main gate of the Virupaksha Temple, also known as the Pampapathi temple, and dedicated to Shiva. It predates the founding of the Vijayanagara empire. Apart from Shiva, the temple complex also contains shrines of the Hindu goddesses Bhuvaneshwari and Pampa.
See more pictures of the Virupaksha Temple complex below.